[NAGDU] International travel with a guidedog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Apr 4 18:51:37 UTC 2017

When I'd had my dog Ben for about 6 months, I travelled to England without
him.  I was away about 8 days.  He was not bothered by that, though he was
happy to see me when I got back, and happy to get back to work.
However, Ben was a very Zen fellow.  A more clingy dog would probably have
been bothered more, and a strongly work-driven dog might find ways to amuse
himself if he wasn't worked for a week or 2.
I wouldn't leave a young guide dog un-worked for more than a week or 2, and
then only if it couldn't be avoided.  With young dogs, the more work they
get, the better they are, both at work and at home, or that's been my
experience.
Tracy