[NAGDU] I walked with a guide dog-in-training yesterday!

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Tue Apr 11 22:36:51 UTC 2017

Bear in mind that, wonderful as guide dog puppies are, they're still puppies and have no formal guide training. They probably don't even have informal guide training. The job of the raiser is to socialize the pups and give them a good foundation to build on. That is, good public behavior and house manners and basic obedience. So the puppy will know how to walk nicely on leash. This really won't give you a feel for what it's like to work with a fully trained guide dog, because working with a harness vs. working with just a leash feels a *lot* different. This, by the way, isn't meant to discourage you, or reprimand, or anything like that. My aim here is to set expectations. Likely you already knew these things, but it's easy to get excited and not have the right perspective.

Having said that, I think this is fantastic, and it's a wonderful opportunity for you certainly, but it's a great opportunity for the puppy. We don't know how much exposure the puppies have to blind people or disabled people generally, and any exposure like that is good exposure. Positive exposure to blind people with canes, too, can do nothing but help. It's also great for you, because you'll have some idea of what it's like to have a dog right with you. No, it isn't the same as a fully trained guide dog, but especially with puppies, you get all the happy fun of keeping them settled and noses where they should be instead of where they shouldn't, for example.

Finding puppy raisers could be a challenge. Not everywhere has them, or even has puppy raising clubs or groups.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: 814-860-3194
Email: buddy at brannan.name