[NAGDU] tools to clip nails

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 15:57:22 UTC 2017

They are well intentioned comments for sure, and I'm not sure the person
making them really imagines how damaging they can be, but they do have
subtexts, and we come to believe them ourselves sometimes. Once when I was a
student at the Iowa Commission for the Blind back in thee renaissance
period, we were cooking a meal for some very important women. I was truly
afraid I would make some kind of mess in front of them because I was blind.
I hadn't been there really long. The executive director of the Commission
knocked over a glass of iced water. I was under the table cleaning it up and
so happy that a sighted guy had spilled the water and not I. I was smilling
when I came out, and the guy said, "Cindy, damnit it, quit smiling." That
was the beginning of my education that we do all make mistakes, we don't
need comforted because we made the mistake as a blind person, it isn't a
compliment to have someone say even sighted people make mistakes but,
rather, a condescension. We do have to be able to differentiate between real
compliments and the ones based on the fact that people are amazed that we
function in the real or some other world. But we do have to be careful to
not get too happy about even sighted people make mistakes, or it is hard for
sighted people to cut the dogs' nails, because the end of that sentence is
and without sight it is impossible.
Cindy Lou Ray
cindyray at gmail.com