[NAGDU] FW: [Njagdu] Taking a Service Animal to a Job Interview: Public Access or Reasonable Accommodation?

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 14:10:12 UTC 2017

Is this article actually verified as completely accurate? I'm
seriously asking, because I'm not as familiar with the employment
aspects of the ADA. Some of these restrictions seem pretty ridiculous
to me though.

For one, you are not required to provide advanced notice that you have
a disability to a potential employer, except that apparently you are
if you have a service dog. Just leaving your dog at home is not an
option for some people, particularly if the service dog alerts to
seizures, allergens, etc. Are you also supposed to get permission from
an interviewer to use a cane, wheelchair, screen reader, or other type
of medical equipment, because those would likely also be considered a
reasonable accomodation?

It also doesn't make sense to me why employment is the only time that
advanced notification of bringing a service dog is required. Service
animals are considered a reasonable accommodation under the FHA as
well if I understand it correctly, but only if you are actually living
in the rental housing. You do not need to provide advanced
notification that you are bringing an SD to look at an apartment.
Service dogs are a reasonable accommodation in an employment setting,
but you also need to provide advanced notification for a job interview
where you are not yet an employee?

OK, rant over.

Danielle and Thai