[NAGDU] FYI FW: GDB - Update on AB 1705

Ann Edie Annedie at nycap.rr.com
Sat Aug 12 08:21:26 UTC 2017

Hi, Michael, (and Theresa), and list members,

The letter below would seem to indicate that only guide dogs trained by
IGDF-certified instructors who work for IGDF-certified schools would be
recognized as legitimate by the State of California under the proposed law.
Does this mean that blind individuals who choose to train their own guide
dogs or who choose to have a dog privately trained for them by someone who
is not working for an IGDF-certified program would not enjoy the same
rights, protections,  and privileges as other guide dog handlers in
California? Also, isn't it correct that some of the long-established guide
dog training programs in other states are not certified by IGDF, but they
seem to provide acceptable working dogs and produce safe teams? And don't
small, new schools have to be up and running for several years before they
can qualify for IGDF certification? Would this law, as written, essentially
preclude the establishment of any new guide dog programs in California, as
well as precluding private individuals from training and placing trained
guide dogs in the state of California? If so, I'm glad my state does not
protect me as California "protects" its citizens who are blind. The passage
that I have concerns about is exerpted below:

"After several meetings with constituents and various legislators,
Assemblyman Evan Low, has amended AB 1705... to adopt protections to ensure
proficiency and competence by persons who provide instruction and training
to persons who use guide dogs.  Protections include requiring anyone working
as an instructor in the area of guide dog handler training to be employed by
a school certified by the IGDF."

Thank you for this information and discussion.

Ann Edie, NY State