[NAGDU] Worn teeth

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 21:30:01 UTC 2017

Hard chews can be tough on a dogs teeth if they chew a lot; however, A dog that never choose on anything hard is more likely to have problems in my experience. Genetics definitely does play a role in the health of your dogs teeth just like it does for people. Some dogs can rarely chew and have pretty clean teeth while others need to chew more or have their teeth brushed. The problem with softer choose is that aggressive chewers will go through them more quickly or break chunks off inedible choose. I personally would try either limiting the amount of time the dog has access to the chew, or maybe try a different shape of Nylabone to see if it is less abrasive. Nylabones are the softest I would go with non-edible choose for aggressive chewers. Avoid antlers and marrow bones if you notice your dogs teeth are being worn or cracking because they are very hard. Edible choose might be a good option since some are hard enough to clean the dogs teeth but are soft enough that they can be slowly eaten. I usually go with bully sticks or Himalayan dog chews when I get something other than Merrill bones. My dogs are all powerful chewers and these are really the only entirely edible choose that take them more than a couple minutes.

Danielle and Thai, who won't chew anything that isn't at least partially edible

Sent from my iPhone