[NAGDU] Special needs

Sherry Gomes sherriola at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 08:25:12 UTC 2017

Hi Debbie,

I too have special needs, and I've been working with guide dogs since 1975.
All my dogs have come from guide dogs for the blind, GDB. I was born with
juvenile rheumatoid arthritis, and at least, at the time of my first trek
through training, the most it caused me was that my right knee was fused and
I had pain, stiffness and limited range of motion. I applied at two schools
back then. One told me that a person with my problems couldn't work a guide
dog, but GDB said, we can get you a dog. and they have ever since, even
though my condition is much worse. I've found that walking with a guide dog
has given me much better balance, and my dogs have all been extremely
cautious about the little things that could cause me to stumble or fall. I
also know that guiding eyes has a specific special needs program which I've
heard great things about. I strongly recommend either GDB, which is right
there in California and Oregon, so close to home, or guiding eyes. Good
luck.

Sherry