[NAGDU] guide dogs and employment events

Janell nellie at culodge.com
Thu Dec 14 15:08:34 UTC 2017

Hello Jessica,

I was also a teacher for 15 years (before my first dog) so I know how you
are feeling.  My opinion is that if you are comfortable enough with your dog
(I don't know how long you have had it or if it is your first one) I would
bring it.  If an employer sees you with a guide dog and doesn't hire you
because of that, that is an employer you will not want to work for.  A few
things I would do if you bring your dog:
Use the gentle leader.  Do puppy push-ups before going, go for a lengthy
walk before going, give tons of praises and realize your dog will not be
perfect but I have a feeling your dog will surprise you and will amaze
others at the mixer.

If you are not yet comfortable with your new dog, leave him home, that is
more than okay too.  If you are already stressed out in that situation, a
new dog may add to your anxiety.  It really depends on how well you and your
dog are working together.

Either way, best of luck!!  :)
Janell and Sully