[NAGDU] A dog? a cane? which will it be

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 15:13:44 UTC 2017

InIn my first class when I got a edog, there was a person who had absolutely no travel skills. She had no idea how to tell when the lights were green ... nothing. We spent part of one of our travel routes working with her on this, and her trainer worked with her in the halls on skills. They were skills that had should have already been acquired. I saw another person like that. It is stressful for people to have absolutely no mobility skills. I miss using my dog, and I'm not sure my mobility skills are what they used to be. I think it is too bad when a mobility instructor tells someone they would be a good candidate for a dog. I think almost anyone would if they want one and are willing to make the commitment, but I think some of the people who are told this are people who, with a little more practice and commitment, will be crossing streets straighter. There are reasons why they might not though. I feel that mainly the final decision is someone's choice. The cane for the NFB has always been the symbol of independence and that continues, but that doesn't mean that the Federation believes people should not have dogs. I think that is a theory that needs to be put to rest.

Cindy Lou Ray
cindyray at gmail.com