[NAGDU] A dog? a cane? which will it be

Matt Hackert matt.hackert at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 18:47:12 UTC 2017

Hi Dan et. Al.,

Somehow I missed when the subject line got modified to its current
iteration, but I think, as others have indicated, that it brings up a false
dichotomy.  Why are we asking cane *or* dog?  I think the answer is,
whichever is more appropriate to specific circumstances; there is no one
right answer for all situations.

One very cogent example for me, as someone who has transitioned from low
vision to no vision a couple years ago has been the realization of how
destination-oriented dogs are.  I've also recently started a new job which
sometimes involves travel, and so I need to orient myself to new
environments such as hotels and airports.  Using a cane to shoreline at a
hotel to learn where your room is located can't easily be replicated with a
dog.  The dog doesn't typically indicate every room as you walk by - you
actually miss a lot of information a cane would give you, because the dog is
trained to ignore or simply walk you around things.  However, once you've
explored, then go back to working your dog, you know exactly where you're
going, and can give your dog confident and exact instruction to find the
destination, praise them up when you get them, and over all, make a very
positive patterning experience for them.

I hope this is helpful to others for understanding why both tools have their
place.  It was a surprising realization for me, when I recently went back to
a training center and freshened up my own cane and O&M skills.  But knowing
I can use both tools confidently really did amazing things for me as a blind
person.  It is just as liberating for me to know that I can sometimes leave
Igloo home, but be just as independent out in public with my cane.

All the best,
Matt