[NAGDU] More Alternatives to Identification Cards

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Feb 13 11:06:05 UTC 2017

Dear All,

                Julie Johnson has a great alternative to identification
cards and I wanted to offer a couple more. When questioned about your dog or
asked for an identification card, why not have one of our incredibly
informative "Meeting a Working Guide Dog Team" brochures to hand them. You
can get them free of charge from the Independence Market at the Jernigan
Institute. They are, without comparison, the best, most authoritative piece
about guide and other service dogs available today. The brochure is a
double-fold three panel piece which, when opened is a whopping 11" X 17".
The front panel contains a collage of pictures of guide dog users doing
every day things, including feeding a giraffe. (Well, not necessarily every
day things!) There are more pics on the inside an all are in full color on
glossy paper. If you would like to read this brochure for yourself before
ordering them, you can do so by going to

https://nfb.org/workingguidedogteam

                Another great alternative is our vinyl "service Animals
Welcome" entry door decal. These decals are 4" X 6" white decals with the
words "service Animals Welcome" in big bold letters and the phrase, in all
places patrons are generally allowed according to state & federal laws".
They also contain the logo of the National Federation of the Blind, along
with the NAGDU website and hotline telephone number. These items are a bit
pricy and they require approval before getting them. If you would like to be
authorized to receive these decals, please send a message with "Decals" in
the subject line to

Info at NAGDU.ORG

Please include your name, shipping address, telephone number, and how many
decals you would like. Because of the price and our shipping costs (they
cannot be sent "Free Matter for the blind") we need to have a little chat
about how to pass these out.

                We believe the best option to cut down on those who attempt
to pass their pets off as service dogs is to educate businesses about their
rights and responsibilities, as well as ours. Many businesses do not know
how to evaluate what is really a service dog nor know their rights when a
dog presented as a service dog misbehaves. I believe it is our
responsibility to inform businesses and offer our support. Let's put feet on
our position and get the word out. We need your help doing this!

Fraternally yours,

Marion Gwizdala, President

National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)

National Federation of the Blind

(813) 626-2789

President at NAGDU.ORG

expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people
and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds
you back.