[NAGDU] Religious Issue

Moshe Segal moshesegal at ameritech.net
Tue Feb 14 17:11:39 UTC 2017

Yes, according to most authorities I would be able to use the dog. The
issue at hand is that by strict Jewish law, it is forbidden to carry
objects from the outside in or from the inside out, or outside a
distance of more than approximately 6 feet.  There are some authorities
that allow the use of a cane, but the rabbi that was asked on my behalf
ruled against it, and my understanding of the ruling makes me agree and
adhere.  A dog is not carried, but moves on its own, and the harness is
a garment rather than a burden.  One problem I have is with park bags,
and certainly picking up after them, so during that 24 hour period, I
need to try to plan when the dog empties, and otherwise let what happens
happen.  I also have to keep one gentle leader in the synagogue to be
used during the lunch after services, rather than keep the main one in
my pocket.

---