[NAGDU] Religious Issue

Moshe Segal moshesegal at ameritech.net
Thu Feb 16 18:21:24 UTC 2017

To clarify the rules and clear misunderstandings:

Whoever says it is not permitted to feed one's dog on the Sabbath is
wrong.  A person is allowed, and even required to feed any animal that
belongs to him/her or whom he/she is responsible for its support.  It is
only not allowed to feed wild animals who do not have owners, but even
there an exception exists in the case of dogs.  In general, whether on
the Sabbath or weekdays, one is always required to feed one's animals
before feeding oneself.  Of course one is not allowed to cook, kill
animals, pick fruits or vegetables or grass, or do any of the activities
that are already forbidden to feed humans or animals, but there is
nothing wrong with filling a bowl with dog food from a container.

In the case of relieving, the problem is not taking them out, but
picking up after them, which involves carrying a pickup bag and carrying
it outside, used or unused.  When I talk of controlling it, I mean that
I try to accustom the dog to go in a place that it is least offensive to
leave the waste.

As far as the prohibition of carrying things from point A to Point B,
that only applies outside.  You can carry things around in your home or
in a building the whole day.  Even outside, it is possible to have a
structure called an Eruv, to permit carrying within its boundaries.
Orthodox Jews generally have many children, and tend to their needs
within the parameter of the rules of what activities are permitted.  In
the absence of an Eruv, however, those that cannot walk cannot be
carried, and a parent has to stay home or get a babysitter.  Flushing is
not a problem, probably because is causing the water and what is in it
to exit the house in an indirect way, and the pipes may be considered an
enclosed area.

With regard to eyeglasses, they are worn, not carried.  A person is
expected to wear clothing, and even in some cases jewlry, and most
things are permitted.  The dog, who we are not allowed to make violate
the Sabbath, is not carrying the harness because he is wearing it, and
the leash is attached, and I am holding at at one end.

In conclusion, I would address certain comments.  Personally, with
regard to others, my attitude is live and let live, provided that each
is respectful of the other's position.  As far as religion being at
fault for the evils of the world, in my mind it is often the
practitioners and sometimes the teachers who give interpretations that
were not intended.  Most religious laws, whatever the creed may be, are
intended to promote harmony with the world, and good relations between
human beings.  With regard to Orthodox Judaism, we believe that the
laws, whether scriptural in origin, or legislated by the legal system
that scriptures establish, are commanded or sanctioned by God, and
following His orders super cedes any human laws that may contradict
them, though there is a Talmudic  injunction to follow the law of the
land, provided it is not in direct opposition to Jewish law.  It would
be similar to following the orders of a CEO over a contradicting
instruction of a supervisor.  Although most of the laws may and should
be broken in life-threatening situations, there are three cardinal
prohibitions that we are required to give our lives rather than violate,
and any of the others likewise if the motive of the person threatening
is to divert us from the faith.

That said, I hope I am ready to discuss matters regarding guide dog use
and ownership that are not connected with religion. Regards.

     Moshe

---