[NAGDU] Sabbath: baggies and babysitters.

Moshe Segal moshesegal at ameritech.net
Fri Feb 17 16:56:55 UTC 2017

I am receiving the digests, and I find it too hard to isolate just the
quotes that are relevant, so I am opting not to have any prior quotes.

The problem with leaving a baggie outside is that I do not know the
exact place the dog is going to relieve.  Beside bringing in and out, I
am not allowed to move things outside from one place to another a
distance of more than about 6 to 8 feet,  and even if the dog relieved
in the right place, I would have to leave the bag in the place it was
used.  I generally try to get the dog to go on grass, most preferably a
tree lawn, and particularly on the block nearest home.  The Seeing Eye
did not address this issue, since when I was there it did not come up;
the campus was fenced in, which created a situation similar to an Eruv.

To the person that pointed out that having a babysitter is making them
work, there are two things to take into account.  Firstly, "work" is a
broad mistranslation of the Hebrew word that is used in regard to the
Sabbath; "skilled activity" would be a closer attempt, though not
exact.  There are 39 particular activities, related to building the
Tabernacle in the desert, that are forbidden on the Sabbath and major
holidays.  Other activities may be strenuous, and we may call them work,
but a person could engage in them all day, and although they may be
violating the spirit of the Sabbath, they are technically not violating
its legal boundaries.  Supervising and feeding a small child does not
fall into any of those categories. Secondly, unlike most of the major
religions, particularly Christianity and Islam, Judaism does not expect
or even consider right that all the world adhere to it.  Except for
seven basic ethical laws, all the others of the Old Testament apply only
to those born of a Jewish mother, or who properly converted.  We are not
supposed to directly ask those not of the covenant to do forbidden
activity, because we are not supposed to have it done for us, except
under certain circumstances, which is beyond the scope of this
explanation.  I suppose the woman who insisted on not feeding her dog
had a non-Jew do it for her, which, as I said before is totally unnecessary.

Some people are questioning the rabbis' insensitivity regarding not
allowing the use of a cane.  As far as it being life-threatening not to
have one, they would probably say that there is no requirement to go
outside or to cross streets equal to the prohibition of using a cane.
Going to the synagogue is fulfilling a rabbinic enactment that is
trumped by the Biblical prohibition.  The rabbis do not make the laws,
but interpret those made before them, and use certain principles to
determine when to be lenient and when to be strict. It is not a matter
of personal preference.  Would a shoplifter be acquitted on account of
being extremely famished and not affording to purchase food properly?
Can one who violates the speed limit get off with an excuse that they
are pressed for time and were threatened with termination if they are
late one more time?  As I may have mentioned, there are those that
permit the use of a cane, and I do not consider those following their
ruling to violate the Sabbath.  But we are not supposed to shop around
for the ruling that is to our liking, once we have been issued one.

I myself have been issued a leniency on the Sabbath in another area.  I
am allowed to use a CPAP while sleeping, even though it uses electricity
and monitors my use, and respiratory status, because it is
life-preserving and according to some the use of electricity is not
literally using fire, and is forbidden only at a protective rabbinic level.

---