[NAGDU] update on me

Danielle Ledet singingmywayin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 00:44:12 UTC 2017

Congratulations! I hear this is a great program. Glad she was upfront
and encouraging you to do this. Cahantal, I did not iknow Pilot had a
program also. They aught to broaden their website more and their web
presence. Cindy, this is a great idea. Howver, I have found sighted
people don't seem excited about using their eyes for others. My family
couldn't see that driving did not translate the same as when walking
the same route. I could never get them to walk routes with me! Maybe
once I move and have friends, but I seriously doubt it. I'm alright
with branching out on my own once I have a little information, but
terrain is a big deal for me now. I wish fully able people were
kinder! Gary, great advice; probably the best I ever gotten. And yes I
put it to use, and half the battle is already won. I never shied from
venturing out once I did it for the first time, it's just not my
favorite preferred way to go! I hope Amanda will do this once in a
while. I listened to a message by Joyce Meyer and she said, "Do it
afraid!" So that's what I do with anything I am facing that's knew to
me and it helps a lot to think this way. As Cindy said, once you have
done something and accomplished it, like travel, since that is a
sticking point often for us blind and visually impaired folks, it's
easier always after that. You could also call someone ahead of time
and let them know you are going out exploring and to keep a look out
for you, or, say if I don't answer within the hour come looking for
me. Be sure to ask questions like if you take cabs for rides every so
often of what you are passing and which roads you are crossing and so
you can have an idea of what's coming up once you leave your door.
ALso, put something audible at your house so you can know when you
have reached home! Is it possible for you to MapQuest somewhere yo
want to go and then write out the directions to carry with you?