[NAGDU] Japan guide dog schools, and being blind deaf

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sun Feb 26 01:27:57 UTC 2017

`	27 guide dog schools in the US? No offence, my dear Michael, but where are the other 15 or so that I don't know about, any comprehensive list  that I could look at, I mean including those not accredited by the IFGS??
I remember when in Japan I did a lot of reading and research about guide dogs there, there are ten schools or so, they seem  to be a lot smaller than our programs and they have long waiting lists unfortunately.

Most of them are named after their regions or are regional though I think you can theoretically go to any of them, but things may have changed...When I asked at the city welfare office , since they kept a registry of guide dogs in the area, they told me that depending where you are you are "recommended to go to a certain program" but I don't know how true that really is.

Let's see if I remember:

Eyemate, the oldest school, in Tokyo but takes students from all over, they seem to have a relationship with the Seeing Eye, I visited them.

One thing that eyemate users do is they have started this campaign to call guide dogs eyemates (I suppose if you are from there) this causes in my opinion rather unnecessary confusion, you'll ask an Eyemate dog owner if he has a guide dog and they'll say "No, I have an eyemate", anyway, just reporting the facts, folks.

Japan Guide dog Association:  Yokohama, but with a center in northern Japan, the second oldest I think. I think takes folks from all over:

Tochigi guide dog association, tochigi prefecture maybe 150 miles north of Tokyo.

Osaka lighthouse guide dog association, Osaka.
Hyogo guide dog association, Hyogo, western Honshu Island.

Chuubuu Guide dog association, Nagoya.

Hokkaido guide dog center, northern island of Hokkaido.

Fukuoka guide dog association: Fukuoka, Kyushu Island, and I visited there too

Oh I forgot I visited the Japan guide dog association headquarters too.

And the relatively new kid on the block

Japan service dog association, which seems to be a split from the Japan guide dog association, don't ask me how or why. I knew a trainer from there.

I may have missed some program or other, I just haven't cared much about it since I came back from my studies in Japan so I haven't kept track.

There were when I was there approximately 900 guide dog users, I heard  there was a waiting list combined for all schools of eight thousand people , but those are of course old statistics. I have not had the interest or opportunity to update my research, almost two years there were enough--lol I did travel there with my guide dog, Evan, my super dog--smile. He was amazing and I wasn't too bad myself.

Now several people have said they are blind deaf here...a question, how do we define this, I have a hearing impairment but I honestly never thought of myself as blind deaf because, I have met people who are really really totally deaf and blind and my problems are as nothing compared to what they deal with. I mean I only hear in one ear, the right one, but I'm very functional...just curious, not trying to detract from anyone's situation.
And I am most definitely totally and irreparably blind.

Cheers,

Dan

,