[NAGDU] Partial Sight was: Japan guide dog schools, and being blind deaf

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 17:47:33 UTC 2017

Dan:

Many years ago I had a simular situation.  I always shopped at a particular
neighborhood supermarket.  There was a very high partially sighted woman who
also had a guide dog.  She was able to go down the isles and pick out her
own groceries and could read menus greeting cards and other small printed
information.  One day I went in to ask for assistance and the customer
service person wanted to know why my dog was so stupid because she could not
help me read like the other woman's dog did.  Now that is a very dumb member
of the sighted public.  I pointed out that the other woman had a lot of
usable vision and admitted that even she said she really didn't need a guide
dog but just wanted one to be able to live with her in her apartment and go
places with her.  People often saw her walking down the street with the dog
at her side without using the harness and the dog having a great time
sniffing along and playing.  I have been on guide dog classes with people
who could read the signs along the road as we were traveling in the van.  I
have had sighted classmates from a block away yell that my dog was
distracted by something.  I have had trainers who freely admit that they
know there were people on class who had too much vision to really benefit
from a guide dog but the Lions clubs had pressured them into taking that
person.  I know it is a tricky issue but that is one reason that for years I
objected to some high partials being given guide dogs.  They are some people
with some vision who really do need their dogs and who use them correctly
and responsibly.  However, there are some high partials who can travel just
as safely without a cane or dog.  My only opinion is that the schools should
be more careful when evaluating if a person really needs that dog.  It is no
wonder the general public gets confused when they try to compare a totally
blind person to someone with a lot of vision.

Sandra and Eva