[NAGDU] Arizona

Matt Hackert matt.hackert at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 18:05:08 UTC 2017

Hello Dar,
Of course, the first thing I would suggest is having a serious conversation
with your chiropractor and his or her staff about what is and is not
appropriate behavior around your guide.  This will do the most to mitigate
unwanted behavior like this.

That being said, at TSE (as well as regular novice obedience) we learned the
hand signal of holding your hand out in front of the dog's face in
conjunction with the Rest (or more commonly, Stay) command.  It will require
some practice with your dog, using both the hand signal and verbal commands
together before you can start trying the hand signal alone.

That being said, I've never visited a chiropractor, so I don't know how easy
or practical it would be to give this hand signal from the table.  A down
command could potentially be easier, which involves holding your arm up,
perpendicular to the ground, palm facing away from you, and then rotating
your arm down, ending with your palm facing the ground.

Again, I really think the best advice is to talk to the staff about ignoring
and not interacting with your guide.  If they are unwilling to respect your
wishes, you may have to consider not working your dog, and instead, using a
cane when going to your chiropractic appointments.

I hope this is helpful.

Kind regards,
Matt