[NAGDU] Ownership comments

david at bakerinet.com david at bakerinet.com
Wed Jan 18 15:16:35 UTC 2017

Well, Jimmy Dagerman, while offering you respect for your opinion, I think your argument is pretty jumbled.  The issue has nothing to do with the veracity or the existence of horror stories about the repossession of trained guide dogs by mean old guide dogs schools who are interested in
protecting their investment in the training of their dogs.  In the first place, these schools did not invest their own money in training, they are holding the money of donors who have contributed it for the benefit of those of us who need guide dogs to ameliorate barriers created by our
blindness.
I find it absolutely appalling that an organization such as the NFB that  is built upon the belief that blindness does not define who we are, would fall prey to the paternalistic ideas of the past, where only the worthy, the humble and the obedient are to be trusted with the
caring largess of our institutions.  If capacity for guide dog ownership is a concern then the only respectful thing to do is to assess the competence of the individual to own and care for a guide dog before releasing it.  Such discretion, however, should only be exercised in situations
where there is adequate due process for applicants to challenge such decisions.  During my lifetime of 76 years, I have seen public attitudes about the capabilities of those with disabilities change dramatically, although obviously not enough.  When I was a rehabilitation counselor and a
welfare worker many decades ago, I saw disabled women institutionalized to stop them from seeing men with whom they had fallen in love.  I saw children taken from capable blind parents, because of hearsay from neighbors and relatives without any fact checking or due process.
Due process
is at the heart of our dignity, our freedom, and our ability to live productive, fear-free lives.  Removal of the chains of charitable prejudices and granting respect to our fellow men and women demand that these archaic attitudes be left behind.  Ownership, with its guarantee of due
process, is a token of respect and trust.  It is also a prerequisite for dignity.
I would certainly hope, as you state, that your shameful attitude does not reflect the opinion of the board or the body of the Federation.
David and Claire Rose in Clearwater, FL