[NAGDU] Entitlement With Positive Focus

NFBTN Secretary secretary at nfb-tn.org
Sat Jan 21 15:31:56 UTC 2017

Marion,
Thank you for directing your last post to me. I feel honored. My “assertions” were merely observations, facts, and concerns of my own. These sentiments are shared by many other federationists and schools as well, but they  choose not to speak because  their opinions are considered personal attacks  and prefer not to be intimidated. I cannot disclose these individuals because of privacy and confidentiality" issues. As far as the resolutions comments, thank you for clarifying the process. The proposed resolution was not depicted as proposed by an individual or two, but represented as coming from and supported from the NAGDU division. So thank you in your statement for verifying that indeed the resolution was based on an individuals own agenda and not the divisions. I can see how it would be difficult to acquire evidence and facts regarding a guide dog complaint, so if we do not have all of the facts our assertions are based on our perception or opinion and not on the facts we were unable  to acquire, right? Most guide dog schools respect the dignity and Independence of the blind. This  is why many of the individuals are passionate about what they do in supporting the blind. Now, Acquiring on a schools policy or asking for a copy of the policy can be done proactively. Schools are willing to share this information. Yet, if a school does not answer our questions to our liking or  we do not agree to the policies, then we have the right to go elsewhere. Waiting until the last week to ask for such information, if this is an important issue for you, is not being responsible or proactive. If I wanted to buy a a house and having 2 bathrooms was a deal breaker, that would be one of the first questions I would ask about the home. I would not wait until I had the contract in front of me or after I signed it. But my words are just that. The expression goes”actions speak “louder than words.” Look at the disconnect of the division and the schools. There is a reason they are hesitant to speak and attend, just as many are hesitant to speak up or voice their opinion on this list. At the next convention, notice the number of guide dog users at our seminar and membership in comparison to the total number of guide dog users in our federation. This should tell you something. I know I tend to ask questions and speak up , and that is why you are intimidated by me or anyone else who has an opinion contrary to yours. I respect your opinions and appreciate your knowledge on the state and federal laws. I have learned a lot from you, most of them good. I do not wish to quarrel or deal with  distractions from the purpose of our federation. What is entailed in our tagline? With   love, hope, and determination, we are to work together as a federation family. In our current chapter president training, President Riccobono made a profound comment. He stated the purpose of our organization and how we must work together unitedly  focused on the main purpose; He stated there are    many resources our organization has, such as divisions( sports, parents of blind children, rehabilitation, guide dog). But sometimes, people lose track of the big picture, and the divisions begin to divide rather than unify. Some focus on their own agenda rather than  sharing of ideas, respecting each other, etc. There are more important things we can do with our energy, like educate the public on laws, policies, and procedures, ensure our members are educated and prepared during situations of discrimination or access denials, or  that our finances are in order. Let our actions bring unity and openness to express ideas and differences of opinions, rather than find opportunities to be confrontational. If we do so, we will start seeing more members with guide dog users join, we will see more guide dog schools participate in our programs as  those damaged relationships are mended,  and we will be united as a federation  family. I would like to thank all of the state divisions, our board for their donated time, dedication, and support. Let’s go build the federation!
Sincerely,
James Alan Boehm
Contact Information:
Phone: 901-483-1515
Personal Email: jimmydagerman80 at gmail.com
NFB Email: secretary at nfb-tn.org
Kustom Cane: kustomcane at gmail.com

Blindness is a mere characteristic not defining my abilities; the only disabilities in life are poor expectations and negative attitudes.