[NAGDU] Belto, dog name

Bryan Gearry bgearry at alaskafrontier.net
Thu Jul 6 18:28:27 UTC 2017

Belto is a very interesting name as the Anchorage Downtown Rotary had
named a dog they had sponsored as Balto. That was the name to the lead
dog in the race to Nome during the early 1900's to get diphtheria
vaccines to Nome from Fairbanks. Later, that became the basis for the
Iditarod which now is a sled dog race form Anchorage to Nome.

The Anchorage Rotary however named this dog for the Guide Dog Foundation.

On 7/6/2017 10:21 AM, Jordan Gallacher via NAGDU wrote:
> I am not sure who named him, but we think that it was supposed to be Balto,
> but somewhere it was misspelled, and thus Belto is what his name came to be.
> Jordan

WWW.Alaskafrontier.net