[NAGDU] Acclimating a dog to being at the side of a pool

Heather Bird heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 14:44:54 UTC 2017

I would bring her, on leash, in harness, to whatever event or sporting
activity you want to participate in. Sit with her at the farthest away point
in the room and let her watch the dancers, swimmers, skaters, players, etc.
Then sit a little bit closer, then still closer, moving every two to ten
minutes, depending on your dog's reactions. If it is appropriate to get that
close, then bring her right up to the edge of the action if this does not
put her in harm's way. For instance, having her come right up to within feet
of dancers who can see her and or who know that she is there, would be
appropriate. Bring her right up to where a ball or hockey puck is flying
around and could hit her, would not be wise, so use your good judgment. If
she acts apprehensive, then go back a bit and sit a little longer before
trying to get closer again. If she is nervous about people wearing strange
clothing such as football gear, face masks, body padding, sleep shades
during Goal Ball, tap shoes during tap dancing, etc., then have her meet
someone wearing this equipment or uniform and let them pet her and or give
her a treat, something to create a positive association, and to show her
that these weird looking creatures are just humans wearing funny clothing or
equipment. Once she is used to these goings on, then go and participate
yourself with her on tie-down or in a crate where she can see you. If your
dog has a tendency to tip, roll or walk soft sided crates around, then stake
it to the ground if you are outdoors such as at a field for Beep Baseball,
or use a tie-down cable rather than the crate. Never, Ever, use a soft sided
crate near a pool, if you A. have a dog who rolls or walks their crate
around, and B. have no way to secure the crate in place, such as by staking
it into the earth or placing it between, secure, immovable objects, such as
between a table and a support column. If a dog were to fall or jump into a
pool they could likely swim to the side and be helped out. If they were to
tip their crate into the pool, they could easily drown, as the crate would
quickly fill with water and drag them below the surface before someone could
free them. If your dog wines and cries while you are doing a particular
activity, you could either ignore them to avoid reinforcing this with
attention, or verbally correct them or utilize a "quiet" command, depending
on which your particular dog is most likely to respond to. If your dog
barks, then correcting would probably be best, but for wining, ignoring
might better do the trick. It might mean having a trusted fellow handler or
educated friend or family member there to verbally or physically correct
your dog while you are dancing, swimming, etc., and cannot be there to
correct your dog. If they react to the activity, but only when you are doing
it, then having someone else there to correct or redirect is necessary, but
if they react to the activity even when you are not part of it, then, of
course, you can be the one to give the corrections, praise and commands
until the problem is resolved. To work your dog around an in-ground swimming
pool, you should treat the pool edge like a platform at a subway or train
station. So, your dog should approach it strait on, and then stop, and then
turn in front of you and walk to the right, keeping themselves between you
and the edge of the pool, or whatever protocol your particular school
teaches for platform refusal and other platform work. The very first time,
bring a long white cane or a sighted assistant to see exactly where the edge
is as you approach, unless you had the forethought to go over this during
the freelance portion of your in-class or home training experience. Many
dogs will not be able to recognize that the pool is a drop off and would
just fall right in, with you. Others see it is a drop off, but want to leap
in and go swimming, which can be handled the way you would handle a dog
distraction, food distraction or similar. Other dogs see the drop off, but
react strangely to the bobbing heads of swimmers or floating toys, as this
novel visual perspective can make them see people's heads as toys, prey, or
small creatures not connected with human bodies. Having a trainer with you
to give feedback on your dog's reactions is best. If that is not available
then getting a sighted helper is very helpful. In a pinch, you could
position your AIRA in such a way that your agent could see and report back
to you about your dog's body language as they approach the edge of the pool.
I would urge anyone who swims regularly or walks near an in ground pool to
request that you and your dog visit such a setting while still in training
with your school of choice.

I hope some of this is helpful.

Heather Bird
"They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't
a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I
wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a
Protestant.
Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up." -
Martin Niemöller
In our diverse society we must never fail to speak up in the face of Human
Rights violations lest we be the next targets of such violations.