[NAGDU] Escalators, and how different schools handle them?

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 18 17:30:07 UTC 2017

My dog is also from GDF, but I was taught a different method from what
David described. I tell my dog to find the escalator, and use my right
hand to locate the railing. Then I use my right foot to find exactly
where the edge is. I typically wait a few seconds to make sure there
is some space between where I am standing and the people in front of
me. I drop the harness handle, pick up the leash, and tell my dog
forward. He leash guides onto the escalator and maintains the leash
guiding position, where I am standing next to his shoulders. Once I am
more than half way, I tell him forward again and we start walking
up/down the escalator. That way, he is already moving once we reach
the edge and fluidly steps right off.

I personally have never really liked escaalators and will take the
stairs or an elevator if they are close by; however, I have no problem
taking the escalator if an alternative is a far distance away. One of
my friends has a service dog from a program that does not allow
escalators under any circumstance, and I would find it pretty annoying
if I had to walk completely out of my way all of the time to find the
elevator.

Danielle and Thai