[NAGDU] (no subject)

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Mon Jul 31 20:25:32 UTC 2017

Christopher,

No, I wouldn't want to leave my dog behind, either. And I would feel
safer using the dog to make my getaway. Not that active shooter
situations are likely for me, so I'm going off pure imagination there.

Could you use an easily detachable fastener for your tags and so forth?
Can you work your dog in a flat collar, or does he require a chain or
prong collar. Another option would be the airport leash, which has no
metal to make noise. Would you have time in an event to take the regular
collar off and slip the other leash over your dog's head?

Does your harness make noise, as well? The nylon sports harness doesn't
have a lot of metal to jangle or leather to creak.

As for keeping the dog quiet... Is he prone to vocalizing under stress?
Or is it a worry that his nails would click on the floor or something
like that? Guide dogs are trained to be quiet on all occasions, but not
all of them stick to that if they're surprised or anxious. If
vocalization is a concern, you could perhaps do some special training to
teach him to remain silent. I was thinking of booties for the nails, but
you won't have time in an event to fuss with that. Unless you have the
booties on at all times. Hm...

Anyway, those are my thoughts from the top of my head based on no
experience. It would be interesting to hear what solutions you do come
up with and how they work.

hth,

Tami