[NAGDU] Keeping Booties on

Heather Bird heather.l.bird at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 14:41:45 UTC 2017

     Oh, good, someone has actually invented a mainstream option for
water proofing the feet with a rubbery substance that is thin? I
Gerry-rigged a protection for my dog's foot in college when she cut her
paw on some glass. I put one of my socks on her paw to absorb the blood
and to cushion the impact of her walking, then I put a condom over that
to keep out the nasty muddy water, as it was a rainy, muddy, nasty day.
The vet told me that was a great and clever way to use common materials
to rig up a bandage. I used this trick again when another one of my dogs
cut their foot on some sharp metal near a construction site. I asked the
vet "Look, OK, its clever, also, it works, but is there anything better
that is made for the purpose? I mean, its not exactly fun walking around
with a prophylactic on my dog's foot." I was told that no, there wasn't
anything like what I had rigged up. Perhaps this vet hadn't heard of the
Pawz product? Any way, I am going to research the Pawz options, as they
look like a good option for injured paws. The mushers' Secret does
protect against salt, but some types of salt, or if there is a ton of
it, still is on the foot and the fur of the foot, then I have to get out
the baby wipes and remove the salt before my dog licks it. In the two
weeks that I was fighting, erm, I mean discussing, the problem with the
maintenance staff of my college, I had one path that was so bad, that I
would go into the building, take Frieda to the lady's room. Pick her up,
with her front feet in one sink and her back feet in another sink, and
wash her feet to remove the huge amount of salt, residual Mushers'
Secret, and slush. An angry student was taking cell phone video of me
bathing my dog's feet in the public rest-room, and I convinced her to
send it to me, and I used that footage to convince maintenance, that
they could use less salt on this one path and avoid me using their
ladies' room as an impromptu grooming salon. *smile*