[NAGDU] Next Steps regarding Emotional Support Dog attack on delta.

Julie Johnson julielj402 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 11:54:02 UTC 2017

I think the Delta incident is horrible in so many ways.  Others have
expressed many things that went wrong and could have been done
differently.  I agree very strongly with the person who said the owner
of the dog should be accountable and not the airline.  At least the
owner should be the main responsible party for this tragic situation.
Perhaps the airline is somewhat accountable, but I do not believe it
should be to the same level as the dog's owner.

So what to do?  Many states now have laws that make it a criminal
offense to interfere with a service dog.  Many states also have laws
that make it a criminal offense for a person's dog to interfere with a
service dog.  This means that the person is legally responsible for the
actions of his or her dog and can be punished through fines or jail time
for the actions of their dog. So why not make that same concept
applicable in the other direction?

Specifically, I mean any dog owner, including those with emotional
support dogs, service dogs, PTSD, or any other flavor of dog could be
criminally charged for the actions of their dog.  This would put the
emphasis on personal responsibility.  It would make behavior the issue,
not paperwork or where the dog came from.  It would be public and
documented so trends could be tracked and monitored.  It would make
people think twice before taking untrained dogs into places they can't
handle.  It would not punish or cause undo hardship to legitimate users
of trained service dogs.

As an owner trainer I do not want to see my freedom to continue
obtaining and training dogs to meet my needs be diminished or
restricted.  I also feel that some individuals can and do benefit from
dogs that provide emotional support.  I do not wish to presume that my
disability is more worthy than what they have going on in their lives.
We are all people and should have the same opportunities.  However, when
people do things that harm others or allow things to happen that have a
significant potential to harm others, they need to be held accountable.

Julie