[NAGDU] Criminal background check

Julie Johnson julielj402 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 22:21:59 UTC 2017

I feel the accessibility of the application is an issue and needs to be
addressed.

The background check...I can see both sides of the issue.  If a person
has a number of offenses regarding assault, domestic violence and
especially violence towards animals, then a background check could be a
good thing.  It would prevent, potentially, tragic issues from occurring.

People change though and criminal charges don't always reflect the
actual event.  A case from my own personal knowledge when I worked for
the county...man is charged with assault for throwing a chicken wing at
another guy in the KFC over some friendly, but inappropriate banter.
The restaurant manager was not impressed and called the police.  I'd
hate to think that one stupid teen age food fight would prevent him from
getting a guide dog.

I'd want very clear guidelines about what offenses would disqualify a
person and how long in the past they would consider. It would be pretty
easy to judge people on the basis of things that have nothing to do with
working and caring for a dog.  People change.  If someone did something
when they were 20 that was admittedly stupid, but learned from the
mistake and got themselves together, would that count against him or her
if they applied for a guide dog at 30 years old?

The whole thing does feel pretty intrusive.  Still I think I would agree
if the school was going to grant ownership.  To me ownership is a trust
issue.  If a background check helps the school to trust me, then I'll
agree.   But once I've earned that trust by completing the background
check, the references check out, the home visit is okay and I've spent
quality time with a trainer supervising how I work with the dog, then
the school needs to show their trust in me by giving ownership.

Julie
http://www.guide-and-service-dogs.com