[NAGDU] Feeding guide dogs and pet cats

Miranda knownoflove at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 09:46:34 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,
So, we have a pet cat. This is a family pet, and not specific to any member of the household. Currently, his food goes under our microwave stand in the kitchen, and his feedings are not scheduled. Although, we have successfully scheduled his feedings in the past. Upon getting a dog guide, we are thinking of having the dog and the cat share a larger water bowl in the kitchen, and feeding the dog in a separate room in our apartment with the door closed, to ensure the cat doesn't intrude. Unfortunately, we are only in a one bedroom apartment, so our bedroom will probably be the only enclosed area where we can feed the dog.
The only thing I am stumped on at the moment is timing, as we certainly don't want the dog to need to wait in another room while the cat takes his sweet old time finishing his food. I may be overthinking this, but do any of you have experience with feeding a guide dog and family pet, especially a cat? We don't really want to gate off the kitchen, as we are already going to need to gate off the hallway leading to the bathroom and bedroom, so as to deter the dog from The litter box.
Beyond feeding itself, we obviously know to store the food in an airtight container, and to ensure that the animals don't eat one another's food, etc. I  had dogs and cats while growing up, but our dogs typically ate outside or in the laundry room. The cats were usually my pets, so I fed them in my bedroom.
Any insight or experience you can share regarding guide dogs and pet cats would be very much appreciated. I don't imagine there will be too much animosity between the dog and cat, as our cat is familiar with living with other animals. He lived with a dog prior to coming to live with us seven years ago, and he lived with a cat in our home for four years.
Thanks as always for your time and assistance, and have a wonderful week!

Best wishes, Miranda

Sent from my iPhone