[NAGDU] Feeding a dog

Julie Johnson julielj402 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 10:55:10 UTC 2017

How much food will depend on the calories and nutritional quality of the
food.
No two foods are exact.  So one food might have 200 calories per cup and
a bunch of filler that isn't useful to the dog.  You'd need to feed a
lot of it.  Another food might have 450 calories per cup and is
nutritionally dense.  You will feed much less of that food.
Besides calorie count the food needs to have ingredients that are high
quality and bio available, meaning when the dog eats it, his body can
digest and use the nutrients.
There are a lot of high quality dog foods on the market these days.  I
like to use Dog Food Advisor, which has convenient ratings and links.
Then I order the food from Chewy.  They have the best prices, reliable
shipping, no excessive promotional email and good customer service.
Their web site is accessible.

I think the food I'm currently feeding comes in a 28 pound bag.  I order
2 bags at a time and it lasts my 2 dogs 5 to 6 weeks.  I haven't
measured it out exactly, but based on when I am close to running out and
the delivery schedule, that's a decent estimate. My dogs are about 60
and 75 pounds with moderate activity levels.

HTH
Julie