[NAGDU] Guide Dog Worries 2. Was, "If you Had a Magic Wand..."

Wayne & Harley k9dad at k9di.org
Sat Jun 24 23:44:38 UTC 2017

*Hello Jen,
If you do decide to get a guide dog from a programme, you'll be
"programmed" with the dog's feeding and relief schedule before you leave
class.
     I'll let you in on a little secret, depending on the dog, you may
not have to be so strict about feeding and relieving schedules.
With Leader Dog Sequoia, I was like any first time parent and rigidly
held to the feeding and park schedule that I'd been inculcated with
while on class. Six months into the partnership, I had figured out the
world would not end if I varied the schedule a bit, in fact it turned
out to be beneficial for both of us. When I introduced random feed time
changes ( not more than a half an hour either side of the normal feed
time) it helped reduce the drool factory that would begin operating ten
minutes ahead of feed time. I also learned to take the dog out when he
"told" me he needed to do so. Now with Harley D, my fourth Guide, the
only real set in stone time is morning park/feed time during the work
week. Harley has learned that on weekends, he'll get park'd at his usual
time, but he'll have to wait to eat until it's not an ugly cow-milking
hour to have his breakfast. After his initial park time, the park times
are chosen by Harley.
HTH

Wayne And Harley D
*