[NAGDU] need suggestions re kids without supervision in my apartment complex

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 6 15:26:18 UTC 2017

Hello:

I had a similar problem in my previous complex.  I spoke to the manager and
she made sure to speak to the parents.  Most apartment complexes have rules
about unattended children.  Reporting it to the management can help to get
the parents to understand how important it is for their children to leave
your dog alone.  If the children speak a foreign language it is possible the
parents do not understand English.  I had this and found ot from the manager
that we had many families from several countries in the complex and many of
the parents did not understand or speak any English so depended on their
children who learned some English at school to interpret for them.  if
necessary see if the manager will get an interpreter to meet with them to be
sure they understand the situation.  In many foreign countries there are no
guide dogs around so those families would not have any idea of how to act
around a person walking with a guide dog.  They would not know the
significance of the guide dog harness.  I also had my manager put a notice
in the monthly newsletter.  In that notice I made it clear that when I was
walking with my dog she should not be bothered by children or adults and
that people should keep their pet dogs under control and not let them
distract her.  These suggestions did help so I hope they help you too.  Good
luck.

Sandra and Eva