[NAGDU] Mambo, the poky little puppy.

S L Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 7 20:24:14 UTC 2017

Deanna:

The first thing I would suggest is to take him to the vet.  Have them check
for any medical issues that might be contributing to his lack of energy.
Unfortunately sometimes there are things that were not noticed or taken
seriously before the dog left the guide dog school.  I had this experience
with my last dog a female golden Tara.  About nine months after returning
home with her she began to walk half her normal speed and was not putting
any pull into the harness making it more difficult for me to follow her.
When a trainer observed her he thought I would have to retire her.  He felt
that she had lost confidence or just did not want to work anymore.  I took
her to a few different vets in my attempt to find out what had happened to
my once happy eager to work dog.  At first after a few vet visits they did
not find anything.  Finally a very observant vet discovered that Tara had
some pain in her right hip.  X-rays revealed hip dysplasia.  Unfortunately
her guide dog school had noticed it but put her out anyway.  Once the
correct anti-inflammatory/pain meds and  and a daily joint supplement were
begun things began to improve.  I also thought some of her slowness could be
a lack of confidence.  I began to really add on even more than my usual
abundance of praise and treats when she would speed up and guide with more
confidence.  When a trainer observed her six months later he could not
believe it was the same dog.  Tara was back to her happy excellent guide
work.  The only thing he noticed was that if we walked too long, she would
begin to limp a bit.  Once I knew this, I modified our walks and worked very
closely with my vet to keep Tara pain free.  I have known many guide dogs
that were able to continue working after medical conditions were diagnosed
and treated so do not give up hope.  Tara's school felt that with proper
treatment she could continue working since she was only four years old.
Tara went on to work four more years until the hip dysplasia and cataracts
caused her retirement.  Good luck.

Sandra and Eva