[NAGDU] FW: [Njagdu] Blind woman and guide dog kicked off American Airline flight

Michael Hingson mike at michaelhingson.com
Thu Mar 16 21:27:13 UTC 2017

Hi,

The airlines are a reflection of society first and foremost. We demanding
our rights and insisting upon reasonable accommodations are still a nuisance
in the eyes of many. The airlines, no matter what they say, are uneducated
about blindness and disabilities in general. As I have said many times,
airline personnel make up rules as they go along. Their training is poor and
their resultant actions in cases such as the one we are discussing are
deplorable and go unpunished. While I have not spoken with Sue Martin I know
of others who have. American blew it.

Other airlines have made similar mistakes regarding blind and other persons
with disabilities. Also, many times the airlines have gotten it right. I
generally have had much better treatment on American than on any other
airline. I fly many times a year for business and every time I go to the
airport there is still a concern in my mind over whether or not I will be
treated properly by airline and airport personnel.

Again, if you want to get angry then do something about it. Some thoughts:

	1. Go up on social media and spread the word that the airlines still
do not know nor treat us as well as they should.
	2. Spread Sue's story in the same way.
	3. Discuss this topic at chapter and state meetings and conventions.
	4. Make sure you know the laws, your rights and your
responsibilities under the law.
	5. Attend the regular monthly NAGDU board meetings to keep up with
what is going on.
	6. Don't sit on the sidelines.

Best Regards,

Michael Hingson