[NAGDU] Softer Dogs?

Joe Orozco jsoro620 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 16:35:15 UTC 2017

Hello,

The recent thread on obedience got me thinking about the way it feels
as though guide dog schools have grown softer in their approach to
correction.

I received Gator from The Seeing Eye in 2004. I trained under Pete
Jackson, a no nonsense instructor who worked very hard at
understanding where the canine was coming from but not cutting any
slack where a hard correction was warranted. High collars, while not
eagerly encouraged, were a standard recommendation.

I went back to TSE in 2015 and received Matthew. The training
atmosphere was noticeably more relaxed where corrections were
concerned. If high collars were mentioned at all, it was probably
because I asked about it. It felt as though there was a greater lean
toward clickers and treats.

So, my question: For those of you who have handled dogs for a while,
have you noticed a similar trend, and if so, how have you adjusted
your own handling practices? I sometimes feel mean for running a tight
ship with Matthew, but I feel in some ways as though my first guide
dog instruction set the mood for my discipline philosophy moving
forward. I was never one to be unnecessarily aggressive. It looks
publically awkward, and I think such tactics have diminishing returns.
Yet, I am quick to leash correct for what may otherwise be considered
small infractions. How much of your own philosophy do you retain after
bringing your guide dog home?

Thanks for any ponderings on the subject.

Best,

Joe