[NAGDU] Softer Dogs?

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Tue Mar 21 18:23:59 UTC 2017

Hi Joe.
I got my first dog in 1980 from GDB.  She was a tough gal, but I asked for
a dog who could cope with anything, and she sure could.  My 4th dog was
also a tough cooky, who needed the occasional high collar to get her back
in line, but she was a great guide, with enough self-confidence for both
of us.  My fifth dog was a soft, sensitive flower.  If I forgot, and gave
her a hard correction, she would literally melt, and we'd have to stand
still a couple minutes being calm and quiet until she got her composure
back.  She needed a good deal of cheer-leading, and a gentle hand on
corrections, but she was great, too.
I got my first Seeing Eye dog in 2006.  He was tough, and would laugh at
my hardest corrections.  TSE recommended the pinch collar for him.  I
wasn't too keen on that, but it did get his attention and get him back on
the straight and narrow.
I asked for a softer dog this time around.  I'm not as strong as I used to
be, and I don't want to be always yanking on the dog.  But TSE has
encouraged the high collar, when Krokus is getting too silly.  I try to
adapt my style to the dog I have.  But these days, if I can, I try to find
another way than the high collar or pinch, if I can.  They're in my
toolbox, but not the first thing I grab.

Tough dogs need a lot of effort, but they also deal better with some
things, like crowds.  My soft dogs look at a crowd and say Gee, I don't
know if we can get through; we better stand here.  My tough dogs see the
same crowd, look for a hole, and wiggle us through without bumping anyone.
 It's a trade-off.
Tracy