[NAGDU] time to think about which guide dog school to apply to

Brenda bjnite at windstream.net
Fri May 19 16:36:46 UTC 2017

Hello List,

this week my pet dog Sadie passed over the rainbow bridge.  She was 15
years old and we had a wonderful life together. She is playing with her
cat sisters who have gone before her. I will miss her and am still sad,
but she is no longer suffering so I'm at peace.

As my vision waned over the years, I became more and more interested in
getting a guide dog, but sadie who was an APL rescue didn't like other
dogs. I did get O&m training to maintain my independence and have been
using my skills and now I am ready to apply for a guide.

I have been surfing the guide dog school websites and reading posts from
here and elsewhere about different guide dog schools and am now trying
to sort things out.

Several schools at the top of my list do not grant full ownership. This
concerns me, but other than that I like the schools.  One school that
does grant ownership is in California.  I live in Ohio and don't want to
be on a plane for a long time.  that may be silly, but I can't get over it.

So...I would appreciate Listers input/opinions/guidance/thoughts on my
situation.

the school I really like is Guiding eyes for the Blind.  They do not
grant ownership at all, but I have not heard/read  anything negative
about them. I doubt they are in business to develop teams only to take
the dog away.

My intent is not to debate ownership issues.  I want to learn Listers'
experiences with nonownership schools with the focus on GEB.

Thanks for any input.

Brenda