[NAGDU] Finding Dropped Items

Danielle Sykora dsykora29 at gmail.com
Tue May 23 00:38:28 UTC 2017

I taught my dog how to find dropped items, by putting his paw on or
near the object. Here's the outline of how I taught this, using the
clicker.

1: Start with one object (I think I used an index card or some kind of
paper/cardboard). Hold it in your hand, show it to the dog, and click
and treat when the dog paws it. My dog tried nosing the object,
mouthing it, and barking in frustration before he finally got it.
2: Once your dog paws the object reliably, put the command to it, (I
used "get it"). Make sure the dog reliably paws the object when you
give the command.
3: Drop the object right in front of the dog from just a few inches
off the ground. Tell the dog "get it", and click and treat for pawing
the object.
4: Drop the object from higher off the ground, but still in front of the dog.
5: start dropping the object progressively further away from the dog.
6: Temporarily pair the "get it" and "stay" commands. This way, the
dog will paw the object and then stay there until you come over to
pick it up. Release the dog from the stay only after you pick up the
object. Eventually, you can drop "stay" and just say "get it".
7: Start practicing  with a variety of different items.

**In the initial stages, make sure to use something that is easy to
hear when your dog's paw makes contact with it.

Danielle and Thai