[NAGDU] Gentle Leader

Rachel Grider rachel.grider at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 02:31:09 UTC 2017

Hello, All:

I have a question about gentle leaders.  This last weekend, at
our NFB state convention, I used my gentle leader with Demi while
we were in the hotel because I knew that she would be very
excited about all the guide dogs.  She kept trying to rub the
thing off, which is not unusual, but then when I decided that she
was calm enough and took it off of her, she still kept trying to
rub her face on me for awhile.  She did the same thing the next
time we used the GL, acting as if her muzzle was itching or sore
because of the GL.

I got my GL from The Seeing Eye.  It is actually my second
because I lost the first one they gave me and had to replace it.
The first GL had padding around the muzzle, but this one does
not; when I asked about this, I was told that they don't make
this particular brand with padding anymore because the padding
seemed to be irritating the dogs.  Demi definitely seems more
bothered by this GL than she did with the last one, however.  I
know that the problem isn't the tightness because I have tried
loosening it with the same result, and it wasn't ridiculously
tight to begin with.

Does anyone have suggestions on other gentle leaders which might
work better? I don't think I want to use this one anymore.

Thank you, and all best!

Rachel and Demi, Who is Still Young and Excitable Enough to
Occasionally Need a Gentle Leader