[NAGDU] Puppies Behind Bars - New Yorker

Jenine Stanley jeninems at icloud.com
Tue Nov 28 00:28:56 UTC 2017

Hi Jody,

Many prisons have staff of both genders.

Again, and I can’t say it enough, this is why any program using prison raising is most likely doing weekend raising as well for additional exposure.

My nephew’s experience with his puppy involves weekly puppy classes but also trips to the store, especially now with all the decorations and Santa and all that. It also involves hanging out at home, getting free time to play in the yard with my sister’s guide dog and time to be off leash and supervised to learn how to be alone with self control.

She also goes out with him and his girlfriend to all kinds of places now that she has her official vest. Our puppies have little capes initially but Ruby is between sizes so her vest is a little too big but she can wear it.

We also need to consider that these programs have been around for at least 20 to 25 years, starting with a service dog program in Washington State and really kicking off with Pilot Dogs, then Puppies Behind Bars in the early 1990’s. Now many assistance dog schools utilize prisoners to raise puppies. In part we do so because it’s hard to find families with the time to commit to raising a puppy, much less groups of puppies, such as local puppy raising groups. Families are busy, people are busy, and if you want quality and uniform raising techniques, plus the additional exposure, you start working with prisons and set up weekend raiser groups.