[NAGDU] FDA Warning: Store-Bought 'Bone Treats' Could Kill Your Dog

Tracy Carcione carcione at access.net
Wed Nov 29 17:18:00 UTC 2017

The link Jodi sent worked fine for me.  I'm attempting to paste in the
relevant info.
FDA Warning: Store-Bought ‘Bone Treats’ Could Kill Your Dog

November 28, 2017 — The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a
warning regarding the purchase and use of store-bought “bone treats”. The
FDA claims the danger goes beyond the risk of regular bones.

What’s a ‘Bone Treat’?

The FDA reports it has received about 68 reports of pet illnesses related
to “bone treats”.

Bone treats differ from regular uncooked butcher-type bones because
they’re processed and packaged for sale as “dog treats”.

Which Products?

A variety of commercially-available bone treats for dogs were listed in
the reports including items described as:
◾“Ham Bones”
◾“Pork Femur Bones”
◾“Rib Bones”
◾“Smokey Knuckle Bones”

No specific brands are mentioned in the FDA bulletin.

The processed products may be dried through a smoking process or by
baking. They may also contain other ingredients such as:
◾Preservatives
◾Seasonings
◾Smoke flavorings

According to Dr. Carmela Stamper, a veterinarian in the Center for
Veterinary Medicine at the FDA

“Giving your dog a bone treat might lead to an unexpected trip to your
veterinarian, a possible emergency surgery, or even death for your pet.”

So, if you’re planning to give your dog a stocking full of bone treats
this holiday season, you may want to reconsider.

Illnesses Reported

Illnesses reported to FDA by owners and veterinarians in dogs that have
eaten bone treats have included:
◾Gastrointestinal obstruction (blockage in the digestive tract)
◾Choking
◾Cuts and wounds in the mouth or on the tonsils
◾Vomiting
◾Diarrhea
◾Bleeding from the rectum
◾Death

According to FDA, approximately 15 dogs have reportedly died after eating
a bone tre