[NAGDU] Introducing a New Member

David david at bakerinet.com
Wed Nov 29 18:31:04 UTC 2017

I think your comments are well-stated, Tami.

Bree, I have corrected 20/30 vision when my CME isn't acting up, and a
about a four degree visual field.  I can look others in the eye if I can
find them, so it is hard for them to see that I am blind. I gave up
worrying what other people thought about my vision, or lack of it, many
years ago.

I used a cane for 17 years.  When I started to think about using a guide
dog, I realized that although I was pretty good with my cane skills, it
would help a school determine that I had sufficient mobility skills to
use a pup if I my mobility skills were documented.  I applied to Leader
in Rochester, Michigan and took their one week Advanced Mobility Program
about a year before I applied to GDF, Leader and TSE for a pup.  I am
glad I did, because the blindfold work we did taught me that there is
life after vision.

24/7 is quite a commitment for care, feeding, relieving, training, and
love.  I received Claire Rose about two and a half years ago.  She is a
genius in crowds!  She catches overhead obstacles, like low hanging
branches, sidewalk cracks and bumps, finds traffic and elevator
buttons.  She finds the mens' rooms, elevators, exits, entrances, curbs,
escalators and can find the same way out of a complicated department
store or building regardless of where we came in.  She finds my wife's
car in parking lots, the cashier in stores and she weaves around aisles
as though she has a map in her brain.  She finds me seats in crowded
waiting rooms and restaurants (if there isn't too much food on the floor).

These are all trade-offs if you are efficiently using a cane, but as my
field of view deteriorates, I know that she'll be there to help me as my
retinal degeneration proceeds.

Tami's comment about the motivation of agencies when they provide advice
or recommendations, may seem cynical (it is), but she is right. You
always have to look at the interests of others when when evaluating
their advice, especially when it involves your potential use of their
resources.  Their are always folks in the system who believe the needy
should be grateful for what they have.  It's pretty feudal.  The scraps
you get from the lord of the manor are better than none, right?

Keep asking questions.  You're in the right place to do it.  Oh, and
welcome aboard.

*David and Claire Rose in Clearwater, FL*
*david at bakerinet.com

*