[NAGDU] the two questions

Tami Jarvis tami at poodlemutt.com
Wed Oct 11 16:40:16 UTC 2017

I agree, Julie. It is the entity that can ask those questions to
determine if the team falls under the ADA. Random strangers are just
being nosy if they ask. It is inappropriate and rude. If a business has
allowed a team to enter, then the team is there. It is, literally, their
business and no one else's. If a dog ever caused problems for my dog, I
would discuss the matter with the manager, but otherwise, my only
concern if another dog is in the store is to be sure my dog continues to
behave appropriately. If I'm not using my dog, then I have no concern at
all.

Honestly, if a dog off leash in a grocery store is doing nothing more
than sniffing a pantleg here and there, it's probably pretty well
trained to be on voice control. Yes, it's not perfect manners, but it's
a fairly harmless breach. Heck, my dog is on leash and still gets in the
random pantleg sniff now and then. I use voice commands and body
language to redirect him, so it may look to some people I haven't
corrected the behavior. It's none of their business, so whatever. The
real issue with a pantleg sniffer is that he's sniffing another dog,
which means the owner of the pantlegs wants to be friends with him and
thus reinforces the behavior I'm trying to eliminate. When Loki was
younger, it was a real pain at times, but by now he keeps his nose to
himself satisfactorily and nearly always passes people who are
soliciting his attention. So if others don't notice what I'm doing to
reinforce good manners, that is unimportant. He notices, and his manners
have improved. Of course, either way, it has nothing to do with whether
he is a service dog. I am disabled; he is trained to guide me. It just
meant he was a young and inexperienced service dog who still needed
frequent reminding about the fine points of etiquette. Now he's a bit
less young, a bit more experienced and needs only occasional reminding
about the fine points of etiquette.

In my opinion, people who interfere with other people's service dogs or
demand to know whether it's a real service dog or not or somehow think
it's up to them to determine whether a business should allow another
team to be there need to worry about their own lack of manners.

Tami