[NAGDU] guide dogs and pet dogs

Buddy Brannan buddy at brannan.name
Mon Sep 11 19:43:54 UTC 2017

hi,

I've had absolutely no problem with this. We've had several combinations of guides, retired guides, and pets, both dogs and cats. Dogs definitely understand they have different roles in the household and we've never had any particular jealousy issues. The worst thing we've had to contend with was that Fiona, our cairn terrier, had the hugest crush on Chet, my second guide. It was what you might call a May/December crush, since Fiona we got as an eight week old puppy where Leno was, at that time, 6 or 7 years old. She'd jump at his face and he'd just kind of be like, "Ehhh, get lost, kid", shake his head, and go on with life. You can even have different rules and expectations for both with no problems. Dogs don't think like humans in terms of "Hey, that's not fair!" They just don't. Well, not in general, anyway. Dogs are very flexible and really learn to adjust to all kinds of new dynamics. You're not likely to have any problems here.

--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Mobile (preferred): (814) 431-0962
Email: buddy at brannan.name