[NAGDU] Churches and service dogs

Charlene Ota caota4 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 23:47:50 UTC 2017

When I lived in Hawaii, when I got my dog, I was asked "You're not bringing
that dog to church are you?"  I brought him with me and some people were
disgusted, some were welcoming, some were mad because they couldn't treat
him like a pet, but I just toughed it out and did my best to try to educate.
Interestingly enough, there was a lady who brought her pet dog to church
every Sunday long before I got Irish and that person was always welcome. She
claimed she couldn't leave her dog at home because it had anxiety. She was a
lawyer who worked with the pastor's wife, maybe that carried more clout than
me as a blind person. That aspect of it really made me mad so I just
determined my boy was coming to church with me no matter what they had to
say about it.  Some people actually learned to respect him and value him. I
finally decided to comment after seeing this last comment as that's about
how I feel about it.