[NAGDU] The first time you met your dog.

Sandra Johnson SLJohnson25 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 15 02:00:36 UTC 2018

Tara:

What a coincidence that you asked  this question today.  Exactly 4 years ago
today April 14th I was at Pilot Dogs meeting Eva, the 14 month old golden
who would be my new guide.  Leading up to class I had a lot of mixed
emotions.  I was very sad to be retiring Tara my 8 year old golden due to
advanced hip dysplasia and cataracts.  I had begun the process of getting a
new dog in early 2013 as I noticed that Tara's eyes and hips were getting
worse.  I had a fear that Tara might be my last guide dog.  I have multiple
sclerosis and arthritis which drastically effects the distance and speed I
can walk.  Tara's guide dog school had made it clear that just because I was
currently successfully working one of their dogs it did not guaranty I would
be accepted again.  They did not accept me so I began the long difficult
search for another school.  As the months went on I received many rejections
because the schools felt I could not walk far enough or fast enough to be
successful with a guide dog.  I had almost given up when I sent in the last
application.  Fortunately Pilot Dogs did not feel that way.  Just two weeks
after they received my medical forms they called to say they had a dog for
me.  I was told they had a wonderful little female golden who walked slow
without pulling.  They felt she was a perfect match for me.  I was thrilled
because I always request female golden retrievers and her pace and pull were
exactly what I had requested on my application.  I felt it was a miracle
meant to happen just at the right time.  .  As I called family and friends I
was crying with tears of both joy and sadness.  The sadness was for Tara's
retirement and knowing I had to find her a new home.  The Joy was for a
school that believed in me and the perfect little golden who I would meet in
2 weeks.  The new match had come so fast that I had not even found a new
home for Tara.  My parents kept her while I went to class.  As I was loving
my new guide I was missing my old one at home.  I would hug Eva but at the
same time feel guilty for loving her and not being with Tara.  Fortunately
once I got home I did find a wonderful home for Tara with an elderly lady
who needed a loyal loving companion and did not want to start with a young
puppy.  Lucy and Tara fell in love with each other immediately.  Now 4 years
later Tara is 12 and doing fine.  I still miss Tara but am very glad her hip
pain is under control and that even though the cataracts have continued to
grow she can still see out of part of her eyes.  The vet says that since I
let her retire while her sight was still good, for a pet but not a guide,
she has had plenty of time to adjust to her new home before her sight got
worse.   Due to lack of transportation I do not get to see Tara but I know
she is loved and getting excellent care.  My 4 years with Eva have been
wonderful.  Right from the start I knew she was perfect for me.  Retirement
is always an emotional time for me but somehow I get through it.  As a guide
dog user for the past 43 years I have gone through many retirements and
adjustments to new dogs.  It is always very emotional and stressful so don't
worry if your emotions are all over the place.  As guide dog users we have
to deal with the retirement issues.  As you begin your journey with your new
dog I wish you all the best.
Sandra and Eva
SLJohnson25 at comcast.net