[NAGDU] Retiring your dog: how you know when it’s the right time

NAGDU President blind411 at verizon.net
Mon Apr 23 02:05:29 UTC 2018

Tara,

	I would like to first address the issue of a mandatory retirement age. I am of the opinion that, if you own your dog, no one has the right to mandate anything as it pertains to your dog, especially when It is time to retire the dog. I have asked the question of why there is an arbitrary retirement age of a guide dog of those programs who have such a policy and their answers, in my opinion, are irrational. One program told me they thought guide dogs should "enjoy their retirement years". I guess they expect our guide dogs will take up a new hobby or volunteer for a nonprofit organization like the National Asociation of Guide Dog Users. Dogs who work love to work and, if they do not have a job to do, what is
their life like? Such an anthorpromorphic view of a dog only feeds into the irrational thinking of the general public about what a dog finds to be meaningngful in their life!

	My first guide dog was retired just around the time of her second birthday because of her fear of thunder. Her replacement was a black Labrador who worked until he was nearly sixteen years old, admittedly part of that time as a semi retired guide dog, as he didn't have the stamina to walk long distances, but loved to work! Louiza, my third guide dog, worked until she was thirteen. She let me know she was no longer interested in working when we walked about two houses down the street and she turned around and basically told me, I'm through!" She lived another year until I had to let her go.

	I think guide dog training programs exert too much influence in our lives and many of us allow this to happen. We learn our dog's behavior and no one is more capable of assessing when it is time to retire our dog than we are. Setting an arbitrary retirement age for a guide dog only serves the interest of the guide dog training program, not the consumer who loves our dog and only wants to do what is best for our dog. Imposing their arbitrary policies upon us does not demonstrate a position on their parts that we are capable adults with the ability to make these decision in the best interest of our guide dogs. If we are incapable of making these decisions, how capable are we of making more important decisions about the raising of our children or good business decisions. As long as guide dog training programs treat us as their wards who need their oversight to make such decision, we will not be seen as capable of making even higher level decisions  and the public's perception of our capacity as blind people will be influenced by the illogical, irrational policies of those they believe to be the experts in the field of blindness!

	At this year's seminar of the National
Association of guide Dog Users, we will address the issue of knowing when it is time to retire our guide dog and dealing with the grief of letting go! Our panel will consist of those who have made the decision to retire or euthanize their guide dogs and a licensed clinical social worker and guide dog user who wil share how to cope with the emotional aspects of grief associated with those decisions. Please plan to join us on July 3 for this incredible discussion!

Fraternally yours,
Marion

Marion Gwizdala, President
National Association of Guide Dog Users Inc. (NAGDU)
National Federation of the Blind
(813) 626-2789
President at NAGDU.ORG
Visit our website
Follow us on Twitter
The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise expectations because low expectations create barriers between blind  people and our dreams. You can live the life you want! Blindness is not what holds you back.