[NAGDU] When to retire your dog

Charlene Ota caota4 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 23:15:43 UTC 2018

I have been trying to figure things out with retiring Irish during the last
9 months or so. Last fall I tried to retire him and he got so upset he
chewed up shoes and got into things when I was out and he got really
withdrawn and depressed, so I decided he wasn't ready to quit even though
his arthritis was getting pretty bad. I could tell he was really struggling
especially as the day went on.  Well, then he had a couple of instances
where he accidentally dropped his poop especially after he'd had a really
harad time getting up when it was time to leave work. Well, that of course,
didn't go over very well. But he's always wanted to go and his work is very
good.  Finally, a couple months ago, even the vet noticed that his left leg
was really dragging worse now, and he was having a much harder time at work
so I decided not to take him to work any more and this time he's been ok, I
think he knows he's having too hard of a time of it.  I still take him to
church and short trips like a doctor's appointment when we use the
paratransit so he can use the lift to get in the van. Well, this past
Tuesday, I took him to a doctor's appointment with me and I think it was
just about too much for him. I've come to sense when he starts panting a lot
for no other reason, it's not hot or anything, that he may be hurting some
and that's what I saw a lot of when I was at my appointment. I guess I'd say
in looking back, that I'm glad I was able to take my time and let us both
figure it out together and try to work through it so he wouldn't feel so
left out or left behind I suppose you could say. One thing I didn't really
realize until I went through it was just how much I would miss him just
being with me, and since we've worked through his retirement gradually, it's
given me the time to make adjustments and grieve so that I won't have to
deal with the lost all at one time. It's still really sad for me, of course,
but I've been able to get more comfortable with my cane through this time.

Irish is about 13 and a half now, he's been a wonderful guide, I couldn't
have asked for better and I know I'm blessed in being able to care for him
for the rest of his life and I will miss him terribly, but just need to
focus on all the good years we had together.

Charlene