[NAGDU] going on US domestic flights with a guide dog

Dan Weiner dcwein at dcwein.cnc.net
Sun Aug 5 22:54:43 UTC 2018

Hello, beautiful people:

Dan W. from Florida with the Parker dog here.

I want to clear up  something. I hear a lot lately about various
airlines, Delta and United for example, requiring documentation, whether
vet records  or forms filled out for those of us who fly with in quotes
service dogs. I put in quotes because I'm a guide dog user and that is
what concerns me at this point.. Is any of this stuff applicable to us.
I had always thought that in domestic flights in the US that the FAA
regulations or air carrier access act allowed access without any
additional rigamarole, essential in my traveling days, I would show up,
on occasion I told when making the reservation that I had a dog, most
times I didn't, and I literally had no problems.  So what is the scoop
nowadays. It concerns me that when I look at several of the guide dog
school web sites here in the States that it seems like they are just
going along with  it telling students that "remember to check with the
airlines about t required forms" or something strange like this.

I haven't been flying in several years and am looking to get back in to
traveling by air which of course includes my pup.

Who can give me the definitive answer...am I as a guide dog user
required to fill out these bizarre service dog forms  or do anything
else in advance or required to bring random documentation on domestic US
air flights...I don't mean in quotes "oh the airlines are saying they
want it so why not bring it..."smile, I mean the actual requirements,
I've even herd from some fellow guide dog  users saying "Oh I filled out
the  forrs and I had no problems the airline such and such was very
nice"-- So I don't want that either, anyway you probably get it.

Who wants to give me the skinny, the bottom line, the scoop...

Yours,

Dan and the Parker Hound

smile