[NAGDU] Faster training times. Is this a growing trend?

Deanna Lewis DLewis at clovernook.org
Tue Aug 21 15:25:33 UTC 2018

Tracy,
I really love the way you have worded this, and it really is true! It is like learning to dance, and of course you will make wrong moves along the way, and occasionally step on your new dance partner's feet. Heck, I step on my dog's feet at least once a day, I'm kind of a klutz!
I learned how to do things with my left foot at GDB when I got my first guide in 2009. But, upon coming home I eventually switched to my right foot. I have better balance when I probe with my right foot. So, when I trained with my second dog in 2015, I had to re-trach myself to use my left foot. I often forgot and slipped into old habits... But, my instructors were very understanding and helpful. They didn't beat me up if I did it incorrectly. You also sit down as a class to review your lecture materials, so you can review techniques and ask questions. And if you forget how to do something along your route, you can always stop and ask your instructor.
Personally, I think that the 2 week class is a good length for retrains. I do feel like it is a bit short for someone who is a first-timer. I don't think I would personally feel comfortable if it were my first dog, I'd feel like there would be so much more that I'd need to work on before class finishes. But, at GDB it really seems to be working well.
Having less downtime in class is also nice. In my 2009 class there were 12 first-timers and we had one instructor for 3 students. Lots of waiting around for your turn to do your route. In 2015, we had 6 in my class. I was paired with a first-timer and she and I worked with one master instructor and an apprentice instructor. So, when we each did our separate routes, it was like having 2 instructors for one student. I felt like I learned a lot more in that class.
Hope this helps some.
Deanna and Mambo