[NAGDU] My dog's weird stubborn behavior, suggestions?

Ann Edie Annedie at nycap.rr.com
Tue Aug 21 23:47:44 UTC 2018

Hi, Julie,

I personally never try to walk through a door with my guide that someone
else is holding open for us. This is because I have had bad experiences in
the past where the person holding the door is partially blocking the doorway
or not holding the door open wide enough for both me and my guide to go
through, so that when the guide tries to navigate through the doorway,
someone is bound to get bumped into the door or the doorframe, and that
someone is usually me. Especially when helpful members of the public hold
doors open for me, if I am aware that this is what is happening, I ask them
to let the door close so that we can work through it ourselves. Then I have
my guide find the door handle, and I can open the door and control exactly
how we proceed through it. Once, when I had my first guide dog (who was
excellent in his guide work and very consciencious), I was at a school
function for my children. We were in the gym and were going out into the
hallway. There were double doors with a metal post in the center. People who
wanted to be helpful opened both of the doors for us. But my dog was a bit
nervous about how long the doors would be open and whether the door might
close on us as we were going through. So he was watching the people who were
holding the doors rather than focusing on exactly where I was with relation
to the center post. Anyway, I got a good bloody bump on my forehead out of
that experience, and learned a valuable lesson which has lasted me for
decades. Now I just tell people that I prefer to work through the doorway
myself, and that is what all of my guides have gotten used to doing.

Best,
Ann